Sunday, May 4, 2008

I'm not an eco-fascist - I have people around me who more than compensate for my failings on that score - but I try to do what I can to re-use and re-cycle. What has got me really mad for many years and long before it became an issue, is the over-packaging of foodstuffs. When I buy my fish now, it gets sealed in some kind of foil bag and then put into another carrier bag - what happened to just wrapping it in paper and shoving it in your shopping bag? Supermarkets - yes, I'm not afraid to admit I shop there - are terrible offenders. Marks and Spencers, much as I admire their fresh food and applaud their policy on sustainable fishas well as their recent decision to drop free plastic bags, are among the worst at packaging their food in all manner of cardboard, cellophane and plastic products. And don't start me on Easter eggs. But its small things as well - recently, someone, with the best intentions, bought me a box of posh Earl Grey teabags. The box was sealed in its own cellophane wrapping, which I suppose is fair enough. I then opened the box to find two further separate packages of 20 or so tea bags, each also covered in cellophane. But that's not all: each tea bag was, as the posh style demands, in its own paper wrapper and individually tagged, with a string, so we dont have to use a spoon to fish the bag out of the kettle or cup. Making a simple cup of tea leaves behind a messy litter of wrappers, tags and strings, as well as the bag. I know it's all biodegradable, but it's not necessary in the first place, is it? And I might be less grumpy if it was a nice Earl Grey, but it's not, its bitter and tastes nothing like the real thing. It's a rubbish teabag in every sense of the word.

No comments: