Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rehabilitation

So, how is the old body going, not quite four weeks after my emergency operation to remove a troublesome gall bladder.....?
The good news is, after three weeks of an excruciatingly dry and often painful throat, caused by the candidiasis I contracted as a result of the anti-biotics I was being given, I've got about 99pc of my tastebuds back and I've stopped being woken up during the night by a mouth that feels as though the entire Sahara desert has taken up residence there. So, I can taste wine and coffee and a few other things properly for the first time in what seems like ages. Which is good because I've got a positive ocean of white wine blocking my hall waiting for my recovery so I can organise a tasting for a Ten Best White Wines column I've got to write for the Independent. And I'm going to relish every single mouthful of the seven course charity dinner, created by some of the country's best chefs, that I'm attending on behalf of the Standard tomorrow night. Could not have come at a better time....
Physically, things are a bit mixed. I'm still a bit sore around the wound. And I've some pains still deep in my lungs, presumably a hangover from the pneumonia. But I had a busy time last weekend, going for a long gentle walk and trimming a hedge on Sunday without too much trouble. I can walk up stairs, but still get very tired easily: I was just ready to collapse last night after a fairly limited jaunt around Tesco (I know, but its the closest and there was stuff I needed all on one place. There are situations when you dont have the time or energy to trot round the bijou delis of Muswell Hill, none of whom, so far as I know, sell soap powder and dishwasher salts. But I gave myself a good ethical slap). I might still be suffering from three very hectic working days last week - one teaching at Goldsmiths, followed by a busy evening, then two at the Standard. It wasn't so much the work that was exhausting, but the up to 90mins commute both ways - bus and tubeX3. Plus the fact that various roadworks and bus diversions meant that I had to walk some of the way home each night. Sod's law.
By the end of those days I was pretty knackered but was still determined to achieve my aim of going swimming on Friday evening, now that the scars have begun to fade to the point where they won't frighten the kids. Now I love swimming with a passion. I normally swim at least once or twice a week, 30-40 lengths a time at a reasonable pace and have done for years.It is the most therapuetic and relaxing of exercises and one which anyone of any age, including the very elderly and the disabled can participate. It's rhythmic, repetitive nature settles the mind as well as the body and I've solved many of life's major problems - difficult career choices, what to cook for dinner etc - during the course of a long swim. In recent years, when I have had some problems with my feet (plantar fascitis - no, don't ask) my knees (playing tennis) and my back (squash and badminton on the same day) swimming was the only exercise I could do. And so it is now.
I first stated swimming in the early 80's when I moved into a flat opposite some baths and decided to take full advantage. I soon got my completely unfit, twenty-something, beer guzzling one-pack of Gitanes a day, body up to 100 lengths a week and felt very proud.
I got out of the regular swimming baths habit when I moved to London in 1986 although I always swam and snorkelled enthusiastically when I was near warm seas. It was about ten years, when I my sons were old enough to start swimming lessons and I could go and do a few lengths while they being taught, before I got back into swimming regularly again. And I'm immensely proud of the fact that both my sons are now regular, strong swimmers, competing for their local club, Anaconda, in countless galas. Both have many medals to their names . Leo is club boys captain, has competed at regional level and is now also a qualified lifeguard. He trains, when not studying for exams, up to six nights a week - sometimes competing in a gala on the seventh. When I boast I can still swim 50 lengths in under 35 mins he scoffs, pointing out that he does that in half the time. For a warm up.
But Leo and I both get grumpy if we go a few days without a swim. Which I was I was determined to do a few lengths on Friday night. I managed 18, rather stately lengths, with some pauses at either end. It was blissful. I would have done more, but wanted to see what effect it had on my body. I had a good session in the steam room afterwards, which helps sore muscles and felt fine.
Saturday however, as I said, I felt quite tired and a bit stiff all over. I certainly don't feel like another walk today, although I might tackle the other hedge. I've spoken to two people this week (you get to compare this kind of thing) who told me how long it took them to get over major operations. So, I have to resign myself to the fact that its a longer road than I might imagine. But I'm looking forward to Monday night's dinner and then Tuesday night back in the swimming baths again. And I'm determined to get up to the 50 lengths mark again - no matter how long it takes.

No comments: